Friday, August 12, 2011

Woot Woot!

The results of our 5k have been posted...I ran it in 34:58. WAHHHHOOOO to me! :)
I'm pretty proud of my time for a couple reasons.
1. It was my first 5k. Ever.
2. It was hot and humid and hard to breathe outside. Since it's been so hot outside lately, I've been running inside in the nice air conditioning on the treadmill.  Since I'm a scardy cat and refuse to go run on the bike trail at 500 in the morning when it's still dark outside and the creeps are lurking in the trees waiting to snatch me up.
3. This was  not you average 5K where you run around the warning track a million times until you reach 3 miles. No ma'am. We were running up and down stairs/ramps and all through the stadium.
So, while this time may seem crappy to you; I'm pretty darn proud of myself.  My sister and I are planning to run another 5K on September 10th in honor of 9/11 and I'm also planning on running the Marine Corps 10k on October 30th.

A few professional pictures from the race, clearly they are a picture taken off the picture but it works :)Just a random tidbit of information but a couple months ago I stumbled across this article...
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201104/warm-cardio-then-go-weights-right-wrong
which after I read all the way through I was like hmmm, well even though that seems weird it makes sense.  I used to want to do my cardio first to get it over with, but now I try to work out like that article said because it does make sense.  Truthfully, I feel better when I warm up with a light cardio, get my weights in and then finish up with some intense cardio.  So unless I'm doing a pure cardio day (and even on those days I'll only do about 45 minutes), I'll work out like this article has suggested.


Another thing I've learned in the past few years is that doing too much cardio can have a negative effect on your body.  When I first met Chris, he always told me that doing a ton of cardio would just burn muscle and that in turn would slow down your metabolic rate. While I just continued to ignored him until he started sending me articles which proved he actually did know what he was talking about. Imagine that, a big muscle guy like him, knowing what he was talking about?! :) So these last few months, I've really knocked down my cardio because the last thing I want is to burn off my muscle tone and slow down my metabolic rate! I've also stopped  working out my abs everyday this last year.  I've only  been working them out once or twice a week at the most and I wont do anymore than 200 abs per workout because like with any other muscle group, I don't want to over strain them. I still have the same amount of tone that I used to and they feel just as strong.


I guess this goes to show you that no matter how long you have been doing something, you should always keep an open mind to the opportunity to learn something because no one ever knows everything.  The chance to learn something new, it the opportunity to better yourself and I'm always up for that :)

1 comment:

  1. Loved this blog!! Really taught me a lot :) :)

    ReplyDelete