Friday, August 5, 2011

Sauteed Green Beans

Warning; this recipe isn't really that healthy but it was deliciousssss so I would highly recommend making it one night if you have the chance! It was super easy and quick to make, perfect for a weeknight.  Plus, you can always make it healthier, I just choose not too.

Ingrediants:
* 5- 7 pieces of bacon
* 1/2 cup slivered almonds
* 1 package fresh green beans (You could use a package of frozen if you want, I just prefer fresh vegetables)
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 3-4 teaspoons minced garlic
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1-2 tablespoons of honey, if desired.

Directions:
* Cook bacon in a large skillet, until browned.  Remove from heat and place on a plate covered with a paper towel.  Drain the bacon grease.
* Return the pan to heat and put the butter on the heat.  Once the butter melts add the garlic and let it brown. 
* Add the onion and let it cook for a few minutes.
* Add the green beans and reduce the heat to a medium low.  Let cook for about 6-8 minutes.
* Crumble the cooled off bacon into little pieces.  Add the bacon and almonds into the pan.
* Add a little bit of honey, if desired.
* Let cook for another 3-4 minutes, until green beans reach the desired tenderness.
In preparation for our 5k on Sunday, this morning at the gym I did the "Sport Training 5K" Option on the Treadmill set on level 6 with the speed at 6.3; this varies the incline between 0% and 5.5% so it's definitely a workout.  I finished the 3.1 miles around 28 minutes, which isn't too bad for 515 in the am.  Hopefully, I won't struggle on Sunday in the heat. :) I think I'll deserve a nice pedicure afterwards though because running sure is tearing up my beautiful feet and making them all kinds of uglllly :(

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly how I cook my greenbeans!! Only I don't drain that grease..it's the PERFECT instant seasoning and it eventually evaporates a little the longer you cook the green beans. YUM. I believe it's that southern thing! I grew up to my mom cooking almost everything with bacon or bacon fat(the stored bacon grease from previous breakfasts). Def not the HEALTHIEST, but I say happy food makes for a happy person!

    (I realize cooking 5-6 pieces will make a lot of grease..when I cook the bacon I chop only 2-3 up into inch sized pieces, cook in the skillet and then eventually add the other stuff..)

    ReplyDelete