Friday, January 6, 2012

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games
by: Suzanne Collins

I saw the preview for the movie long before I knew this was a book.  I immediately wrote this movie off as "heck no, this looks so disturbing" type of movie.  Next thing I know, my mom is telling me I have to read it because she can't out it down.  And then, my sister is texting me telling me to read it, it's fabulous. 
For those of you who are still in the dark world, here is a quick synopsis about the book;

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love

Ok, I know what you're thinking.
Why in the world would I want to read a book about children fighting to the death for the entertainment of the rich?
Trust me, I thought the same thing.
You don't want to like it, because it feels wrong.
But it is so engrossing.
There is so much more to the story then children fighting to the death and the ending is most definitely not what you would expect.
So, take a chance and read this book. 
You will be hooked. 
This book is like nothing I have ever read before and I personally loved it. 
I literally could not put it down. 
I don't know how the author came up with the sick and twisted idea for the storyline but it is captivating and she can write. 
You will have to read the second and third book.

No comments:

Post a Comment