Monday, January 9, 2012

Deployments

I would like to high five the creators of Skype.
I want to give them a great big hug.
They have made communication between loved ones who are separated by thousands of miles, wars and timezones much more easier than it was even a decade ago. 
Last night Chris and I were able to talk over Skype.
This was rare because our conversation was  only cut off once by their "wonderful" Internet connection over there. 
It was undisturbed by anyone else in his tent. 
It was just a normal conversation between a husband and his wife. 

Well, as normal as it can be.
Although, I must say, this deployment has been extremely easy on our relationship.
We have gone closer, if that is even possible. 
We are in a perfect place.
A place where we can only go up.
Although, I don't give all the credit to the deployment.
I give most of the credit to us.
To us, making it through the obstacles that life has thrown at us.
To making it through the hard times that no one (not even us, at times) believed we would get through.
And for coming out of those times holding hands and being that much stronger and more in love.
We are at a place where just the thought of him makes me smile no reason. 

The first deployment we went through was so early in our relationship we were still trying to figure out what our relationship was and where it was going.
It was trying and stressful. 
Him coming home, although joyful, was stressful.
Him getting readjusted to civilian life while trying to  adapt to having a relationship at the same time was hard on us both at times. 
But, the whole experience was overall stressful. 
But I wouldn't take back a day of it, because I learned a lot from the entire experience. 
We both did, as individuals and as a couple. 
But, it was a major stepping stone in our relationship.
It let us know that we could and we would make it through all the tough times life threw at us.

The second deployment was definitely much easier. 
There were no questions if our relationship would survive this deployment.
But, trying to plan a wedding while you're fiancé is deployed?
Now, there's some unneeded stress a bride to be doesn't really want. 
And I'm sure Chris didn't really need the 20 million emails with wedding questions.
5 times a day.
Nagging him for answers.
It's not like he had more important things to do.
I couldn't help that I got annoyed that he didn't answer me right away.
He couldn't help that these wedding things weren't his top priority.
But at the end of the day, things got taken care of and our wedding was the most perfect day.
Ever.
Not the easier deployment on our relationship.
But we made it through it. 
Yes we bickered. Yes there were tears. 
But we made it and we're stronger for it.

But this deployment, has by far been the easiest on our relationship.
I know for a fact, it is not a good deployment for Chris.
At all.
In fact, it's one of the worst he's been on.
But there are no outside factors putting an added strain on our relationship.
We are happy.
We are newlyweds.
We are perfect.
There have been no fights.
There have been no tears.
The conversations between us have been full of love and laughter. 
I am in love with my amazing husband.
I am so blessed to have such a wonderful man to share my life with and who is so supportive of everything I  do. 
Not everyone is as lucky as we are.
We are some of the lucky few to be blessed with true love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment