Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thank You's

I just want to throw it out there that I am normally very quick about sending out my thank you cards because I feel like people should know that their gift was genuinely appreciated.  Plus, we live in such a media friendly society that the days of receiving anything but a bill in the mail seem to be long gone, and I know that I personally love getting mail, so I'm sure that most people feel the same way.  It takes time out of that persons day to go out and buy a gift, just like it takes time out of my day to sit down and write them a thank you note.  It's so easy to shoot off a text or send a quick mass email, but how impersonal is that?  Those gifts people send to us are personal so writing a thank you card is a personal gesture back to them to let them know it's appreciated.  It's a gesture that I really hope isn't lost in my children's generation. 
On that note, I just wanted to say that after our engagement party, the following night, I sat down with my list of gifts and wrote every single person a thank you card and sent them out on Monday.  After my bridal shower, I sat down that very night with my list of gifts and wrote a thank you card to everyone who attended the shower and those who had sent gifts and all the cards were in the mail by Monday.  As the gifts slowly trickled in from people who RSVP'd no to the wedding, I wrote them a thank you note and send out their card the next day.  I do this because I want to make sure people get their thank you cards in a timely manner to know that their gesture is appreciated and their thoughtfulness does not go unnoticed and that Chris and I appreciated each and every gift we received.  I do this because this is what I was taught to do as a child.  I do this because I was told it it was called being grateful for what you have been given and not to take anything for granted, to show people that you are thankful for the love that they show you in the form of a gift or a card.  For the people who attended our wedding, the thank you cards have taken an extremely long time to get in the mail.  And I do have an explanation for that, I was waiting for the photographer to finish the thank you cards.  This is not in my nature to wait over two months after we have received a gift to send out a thank you, and I apologize, but they are on their way.  Our thank you cards came in the mail last night and since Chris was not home, I sat down with our gift list and a pen and wrote thank you cards for four and half hours so that they would all be placed in the mail these morning. 
To everyone who gave us a wedding gift; thank you from the bottom of our heart.  Every thoughtful gift meant so much to Chris and I and will are going to have so much love when it comes to decorating our own place. To everyone who gave us a wedding gift who is still waiting on a thank you card, I am extremely sorry they took so long to get in the mail but please know that it is not for lack of ungratefulness, we are both so grateful for everything we received and we were truly enlighted by how many people showed up (or sent us cards in the mail) showering us with love and support on our wedding day.  We couldn't have asked to have been surrouned be better people in our lives and can only hope as the years go by, the love conitues to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment