Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

Chris and I took a trip up to New York City to enjoy the Memorial Day weekend; we've been together for over 4 years and we've been to New York numerous times but only during the dead of winter.  So we decided instead of just talking about going up there during the spring to actually do it.  We had a great weekend, the weather was perfect for walking around and enjoying the city. 

Saturday we went to see Spiderman Turn off the Dark which was on Broadway.  It was pretty good! Not nearly as good as Lion King, but then again, I don't think that many shows are, but still good.  The stunts were pretty amazing.  Afterwards we had dinner in the theatre district at this little Italian place called Trattoria Trecolori which was amazing.  They gave you decent sized portions so you didn't feel like you had to overeat because the food was so good you just couldn't stop.  It also tasted like their pasta was homemade, which is always the best kind of pasta. After dinner we just walked around Times Square for awhile just enjoying the city, the summer night and each other's company.



Sunday we got up and took the Staten Island Ferry over to Staten Island to see some of the fleet week ships.  Unfortunately the line to get in was a 3 hour wait so we headed back to city and walked around for awhile.  We went to Centrel Park and spent a couple hours there.  I was such a gorgeous day and it was quite fun to people watch.  There sure are some interesting people in the city.  Definitely not a boring moment, that's for sure! We went to this place called the Chip Shop for dinner which is like a British Pub.  It's very small on the inside but the food is really good.  But the dessert is what you go there for.  I had the deep fried twix and Chris had the Deep Fried Snickers and if you're thinking well that sounds good.  Let me tell you, it was the best dessert I think I have ever had.  I mean, what can go wrong with deep frying candy?  It was like a little slice of heaven right in my mouth.  After dinner we met up with my cousin for a couple drinks at a nearby bar. We had a really good time. 


It was a relaxing trip in comparsion to everything I normally cram into a weekend, but it was definitely a fun one! Hopefully we'll get a chance to go back before Chris leaves on this next deployment, but I suppose only time will tell.

As we drove back on Memorial Day I couldn't help but think about what Memorial Day actually means.  For most people it's simply a day off of work, a long weekend to start their summer. But for a lot of people it's a day to remember our fallen heros; a day to remember that their are still thousands of troops overseas putting their lives at risk so we can enjoy freedom; a day when veterans remember their fallen friends; a day when family members of a veteran feel pride of knowing that their loved one is one of the few who have fought for our freedoms.  I am one of those last people, I love my solider more than words can express.  I miss him terribly when he is gone, but at the same time I am extremely proud of him for what he is doing.  I treasure our time together because I know that it can end without any warning.  I know that going through multiple deployments together has made us stronger than a lot of couples I know.  I am one of those people who is proud of her veteran.


xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment