Wednesday, May 16, 2012

50 Shades of Grey


50 Shades of Grey is about a soon to be college graduate who goes to interview an insanely rich CEO for her roommate who suddenly falls ill to the flu.  His name is Christian Grey, he is a condescending, bossy, stubborn, handsome 27 year old who has more money that he knows what to do with.  Ana is shy, quiet, awkward and clumsy.  Immediately there is a chemistry between the two of them which confuses them both.  Ana leaves the interview feeling flustered and Christian shows up at her job about a week later.  He asks her to dinner and approaches her with an indecent proposal, not knowing that she is an innocent virgin and she not knowing that he has some serious demons.  This is not your typical boy meets girl, lets date romance story.  He wants to dominate her and he wants her to be his submissive.  He comes up with a contract that he wants her to sign.  She's torn between her love for him and her fear for him.  She wants to know why he is so Fifty Shades of "f'k"up.  She wants to know why he is so Fifty Shades of "f'd" up. She wants to get to the bottom of what happened in his past to make him need this type of relationship and why he hates to be touched. He introduces her to the "dark side" of his sexual habits and in his desire to keep her and make her happy, tries for the "vanilla relationship" she desires. Will Ana embrace Christian's dark side or will it be more than she can handle? The way he makes love to her is so erotic, steamy, sexy and scary all at the same time. But after the first couple times, it's very repetitive.  


When I first started reading this book, I was completely unaware of the plot of the book.  I just heard about how addicting it was and how much people loved it, so I decided to give it a try.  The first chapter seemed like a normal book and then the plot hits you like a train.  I wanted to hate it because it was so disturbing but I couldn't help but grow attached to these characters. I wanted to know what happened to little Christian as a book to make him so tortured as an adult; I wanted to find out if he was going to throw away his contract to give into the thought of true love and being happy; I wanted to find out if Ana was going to try to see past Christian's demon's and see him for the lovable man that he has the potential to be. 

Although, I didn't like how repetitive the sex scenes were. She's biting her lips again. Christian wants to nail her AGAIN. Christian wants to spank her AGAIN. She's not sure if she wants him to. I preferred the more natural sex scenes to the Dominant/Submissive stuff; those seemed to be the times where Christian broke down and little by little more of him was revealed and the readers were able to understand him. Even though they were very detailed and raw, they didn't make me uncomfortable as I thought they might.  

I have to say, I started by not wanting to like this book at all because I found it so disturbing and I also had issues with the grammatical and editing overlooks.  But by the end, I got used to the way the author wrote and was able to overlook the grammatical issues and I found myself very attached to the characters in this book.  I actually, immediately downloaded the next two books on my kindle and began reading them right away. 

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the book tip! I need to start downloading books for all the upcoming travels..may have to look into this one! :)

    ReplyDelete