Monday, February 6, 2012

"Home"

I met Chris in a bar. 
On dollars beer night.
Keeping it classy, I know.
Either way, from the moment we started talking, even admist our drunken (ok, ok I admit; I was taking advantage of those dollar beers and completely forgetting about my 8am class the next morning, Chris was being the responsible one) haze, we knew that there was a spark. 
An instant connection.
I'm talking sparks flying everywhere.
He was such a gentlemen he even texted me the next morning to tell me suck up my hangover with a gatorade and keep my butt to class.
But from the minute we started chatting up a storm,  he let me know he was leaving on a deployment in a couple weeks.
I kept telling him that wouldn't be a problem, I was an excellent pen pal and I put together really awesome care packages. 
Neither of us not really thinking how tough going through your first deployment as a couple when you'd only begun dating a few weeks before. 
So for the next few weeks, we spent every waking minute together, getting to know each other but also knowing that "this was it." 
We had found what everyone searches to find.
Now, our first major hurdle was upon us and it was a challenge to say the least.
But we made it day by day.

The night we were saying good bye this song came on the radio.
I of course started crying harder, but we both sat in silence and just listened to the words. 
We understood. 

It instantly became "our song"
I listened to this song all the time through that first deployment, when I was having a bad day, when I was lonely, when I needed to remind myself that soon enough he would be home. 
And he would be just as excited as me. 
I got goosebumps listening to it.
It seemed like it was speaking directly to us.

Tonight on my way home from work, while I was randomly flipping through the stations, I heard the beginning beats of this song. 
I immediately turned it up full blast and jammed out for 4 minutes and those goosebumps came back just as they always do whenever I randomly hear it.
I reminded myself that he would soon be home. 
I reminded myself that he is just as anxious as I am to get home, that those faces and that place is getting old. 
That he's coming home to the place where he belongs so very soon. 

Our last song at our wedding was played by my uncle.
It was this song.
It was OUR song.
It was sang so beautifully and it was the perfect way to end that night. 
Starting a new chapter with the song that our relationship started with...it seemed perfect.
To remind us that whenever we are separated, it won't be forever.
That we will eventually find our way back home.
Back together. 
To remind us that he will ALWAYS come back home where he belongs after he serves his country. 
And that I'll ALWAYS be here waiting to fly into his arms. 
This song holds a special place in my heart for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment