Thursday, February 2, 2012

Downward Spiral

I wrote a post when we were about a month into this deployment and now we're about a month away from this deployment being over.  Finally.  5 months since I've hugged my husband.  Five months since his hand has filled the empty space in my hand.  Five months since I've kissed him.  I've been surrounded by people but I've been so lonely without having him here.  There's not a day  that goes by that I don't this "gosh, i wish Chris was here" at least five times a day.  There's nothing I do that I don't think "I wish Chris was here to share this with me."  There's not a day that goes by that I don't think "I just wish I could text Chris or call him really quick to tell him something."  This has been hard.  The limited communication has been the worst.  But we've gotten through it, and we've done it with no tears; just laughter and a growing relationship and bond.  For that little fact, I'm so proud of us.  I'm so proud of how far we've come as a couple in the last five years.  We've grown up so much and we've done it together.  We've learned the important things in life and we both know that these deployments have played a huge part in that. I know that we can make it through anything and I know that we will make it through anything that life throws our way. 

It's amazing the little parts of your day that you take for granted.  Coming home and being able to tell  your significant other about your day, vent about the bad parts, laugh about the funny parts.  Just being able to connect.  Having someone to share dinner with every night and just talk about things.  Little things like a text message in the morning saying I love you that have come to be a part of your daily routine are suddenly missing from your day.  It's those simple weekend nights, curled up on the couch together, doing absolutely nothing but being together and eating pizza that you long for.  It's being able to roll over in the middle of the night and have a warm body to snuggle up to instead of the cold bed.  It's the little parts of my day where he's absent that I really miss him.  

This has seemed like one of the longest deployments we have ever been through, for the both of us.  Maybe it's because we're newlyweds, we're not supposed to be spending six months apart right after we get married. We're supposed to be enjoying the honeymoon phase and slowly building our life together.  So maybe that's why it feels like these last couple months have crept by for the two of us, we are both so anxious for him to be home so we can finally start this next chapter in our life together, as a family.  

This deployment has taught me so many things.  I'm strong and capable of doing things on my own.  Stronger than I gave myself credit for in the beginning.  I moved to Florida without my husband, got a new job and I'm doing just fine.  I'm away from all my true, life long friends but we've proved that friendships only grow stronger with distance, nothing changes.  I've done so much this deployment to make not only myself proud, but to make Chris proud of me.  But, I can't wait for him to be here with me.  Because it will be so much easier to have the man I love here with me as we try to start a new life in this new city.  

He is my other half.  He is the person he makes me whole.  He is my missing piece.  He is the other half to my heart to make my heart complete.  And I love that fact about us.  Without the other person, we are each a little lost.  When we are together we are whole.  We are both perfectly capable of surviving on our own when we have to.  We both have our own interests, hobbies, goals and friends which is how it should be.  But together, we can take on the world and anything that it has to throw at us.   Together we are a force to be reckon with; we can beat all the odds.  I'm counting down the days until he is home so we can continue to see what life has to offer us, hand in hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment